IT’S AS EASY AS…
- Learn how you can prepare yourself, your home, and your community. Get Prepared. Get Involved.
- Make a Go Bag for each member of your family (see below).
- Support your local CERT:
- Join the team.
- Donate Money (see below).
- Host an event.
GET READY, NEW YORK!
Prepare a Go Bag for each member of your family – including pets – and affix an ID to each. You may not be at home when an emergency strikes, so make sure each person can easily identify his or her bag. A Go Bag should be packed in a sturdy, easy-to-carry container such as a backpack or suitcase on wheels, and easily accessible in case you have to leave your home in a hurry.
PACK THESE ITEMS FOR THE FAMILY:
Put copies of any important documents in a waterproof and portable container.
- Insurance cards, photo IDs, proof of address,
- Your family’s emergency plan with meeting place, relevant contact information, and a small regional map.
- Photos of family members and pets for re-identification purposes
- List of the medications each member of your household takes, why they take them, and their dosages. If you store extra medications in your Go Bag, be sure to refresh them periodically.
- List of allergies to any drug (especially antibiotics) or food
- Credit and ATM cards and cash, especially in small denominations. We recommend you keep at least $50-$100 on hand.
- First-aid kit
- Extra set of car and house keys
- Battery-operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries
- Bottled water and non-perishable food such as energy or granola bars
- Any special-care items for children, seniors, or people with disabilities
*Traditional flashlight bulbs have limited life spans. LED flashlights, however, are more durable and last up to ten times longer than traditional bulbs.
ADD THESE TO INDIVIDUAL ADULT BAGS:
- Dust mask
- Pocket knife
- Sturdy shoes, a change of clothes, and a warm hat
- Waterproof jacket or poncho
- Foil blanket for warmth
- Local map
- Permanent marker, paper, and tape
- Extra prescription eye glasses, hearing aid or other vital personal items
- Prescription medications and first aid supplies
- Essential toiletries, like toothbrush and toothpaste
HELP SPREAD THE READINESS!
Support your Upper West Side CERT with a donation!
|JOIN US! CERT is always looking to train motivated individuals to prepare for and respond to emergencies. Anyone looking for more information may call the CERT hotline at (718) 422-8585 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.|